Paths

I caught up with my fab new friend Peter last weekend.  It was nice as we're starting to get to know each other a bit better.  As mentioned previously, in a weird way he seems like the male me.  But what is even more bizarre, is that our lives up to this point in time couldn't have been more different.  

He's lived a colourful life full of sex, drugs and rock and roll.  Compared to him I feel like a plodder.  Sure there's been a bit of booze and some rock and roll in my life, but I've always had a steady job and as someone once described me - I'm a 'serial monogamist'.  Apparently, anyway.  Hmmmm

It has made me think of how life is full of decisions.  We take roads that lead us places we may never have imagined we would end up.  Yet it's amazing that two quite drastically different paths seem to have lead, in a way, to the same place.

Perhaps it has to do with being  aware or self-reflective.  Some of you may have gathered that this blog has become a way for me to process some things going on in my head.  I like to reflect on what's going on around me and contemplate my place in the universe.  Don't worry - I'm not sitting in a dark room listening to The Smiths or turning into an emo.  I just think it's healthy to look outside myself.   I know life isn't 'all about me'.

This is perhaps something I have in common with many of my good friends.  Have I become like this because I'm getting older, or is it the influence of friends I respect and admire?  Maybe it's a little of both.  I realise the huge influence that my good friends have on me, and recently I've thought about how lucky I am to have them in my life.  Even if I don't get to see them as much as I'd like to.

But the reality is that I have friends of all different age groups and backgrounds.  What I focus on is the things we have in common, and respect the things that are different.  When I think about the state of the world, I wonder why some others can't seem to get a grip on this concept.  Simplistic, I know.  Don't think about sending me in to sort out the Israeli / Palestinian conflict with that simple sentiment!  Life is more complex.

I suppose I'm grateful that interesting, wonderful, funny, caring, delightful people orbit my world as friends.  I'm thankful for what ever path brought them into my life.  I just hope we get to walk some distance together.



Comments